Dr. Kwong received his MSc degree in Advanced Manufacturing Systems from the University of Nottingham, UK and his PhD degree from the University of Warwick, UK. He worked in manufacturing industry for seven years in the areas of product development and tool design. Then, he joined The Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a lecturer and currently is an Associate Professor in Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering of the University. His research areas include new product development, product family design, product line design, integrated product design, design for manufacture, and computational intelligence for design and manufacture. Dr. Kwong published over 160 research papers in which more than 110 papers were published in SCI journals. He also published one book about computational intelligence for product design, and four book chapters.
Teaching and Research Specialties
Teaching specialties of Dr. Kwong are product planning, new product development and design for manufacture.
His research areas include new product planning and development, computational intelligence for design and manufacture, product line/family design, quality function deployment, affective design, integrating marketing, engineering and supply chain for product design, design for manufacture, and modelling of customer satisfaction.
- Chartered Engineer, UK
- Corporate member, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- Corporate member, The Institution of Engineers, Australia
- Chartered Professional Engineer, Australia
- Senior member, The Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society, China
- Corporate member, The Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK
Professional and Scholarly Activities
- Editor, Journal of Industrial Engineering
- Guest editor, Journal of Neurocomputing
- Editorial board member, Artificial Intelligence and Applications
- Scientific committee member, International Conference of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management
- Scientific committee member, International conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems
- Course assessor, The Open University of Hong Kong
- Assessor of corporate membership, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- Committee member, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (manufacturing and industrial engineering division)
- Theme leader of product and process design group, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Lab-in-charge of NTL Digital Factory Laboratory, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Lab-in-charge of Integrated Product Design Laboratory, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Senate member, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Programme leader, Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Product Engineering with Marketing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- School board member, School of Design, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Selected Research Projects (as Principal Investigator / Chief Supervisor)
- Incorporating refurbished products into product line design with consideration of market uncertainty
- Optimal product line design: an integrated affective design, marketing and engineering approach
- An Integrated marketing and engineering approach to product line design with consideration of remanufactured products
- Joint decision in product family and close-loop supply chain design
- Modeling affective relationships for product design
- An integrated methodology for determining the optimum value setting of engineering requirements for new products
- An intelligent system for defining design specifications of new products
- An integrated fuzzy modular function deployment for modular design
- Fuzzy product positioning for new product development
- Optimizing product family design based on market driven and MOGA approaches
- Modeling of customer satisfaction and determination of specifications for product design using computational intelligence techniques
- Module-based product family design with a consideration of supplier selection
Hu, B.Q., and Kwong, C.K., (2014) On type-2 fuzzy sets and their t-norm operations, Information Sciences, 255, 58-81.
Chan I. W.M., Pinfold, M., Kwong, C.K., Szeto, W.H., (2014) Automation and optimisation of Family Mould Cavity and Runner Layout Design (FMCRLD) using Genetic Algorithms and Mould Layout Design Grammars, CAD, 47, 118-133.
Deng, S.F., Aydin, R., Kwong, C.K. and Huang, Y., (2014) Integrated product line design and supplier selection: a multi-objective optimization paradigm, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 70 (1), 150-158.
Luo X.G., Zhang Zichen, C.K. Kwong and Tang Jiafu, (2014) Share-of-Surplus Product Line Optimisation with Price Levels, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 389479.
Aydin, R., Kwong, C.K., Ji, P. and Law, M.C., (2014) Market demand estimation for new product development by using fuzzy modeling and discrete choice analysis, Neurocomputing, 142, 136-146.
Chan, K.Y., Kwong, C.K. and Law, M.C., (2014) A fuzzy ordinary regression method for modeling customer preference in tea maker design, Neurocomputing, May 142, 147-154.
Du W., Leung, S.Y.S. and Kwong, C.K., (2014) Time Series Forecasting by Neural Networks: A Knee Point-Based Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithm Approach, Expert Systems with Applications, 41, 8049–8061.
Tang, D., Wong, T.C., Chin, K.S., and Kwong C.K., (2014) Evaluation of user satisfaction using evidential reasoning-based methodology, Neurocomputing, 142, 86-94.
Luo, Xinggang, Yang, Wei, Kwong, C.K., Tang, Jianguo, and Tang, Jiafu (2014) Linear programming embedded genetic algorithm for product family design optimization with maximizing imprecise part-worth utility function, Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications 22 (4), pp. 309-319.
Luo, X. G., Kwong, C. K., Tang, J. F., and Sun, F. Q., (2015) QFD-Based Product Planning With Consumer Choice Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 45(3), 454-461.
Jiang, Huimin; Kwong, C K; Liu, Y.; Ip, W.H., (2015) A Methodology of Integrating Affective Design with Defining Engineering Specifications for Product Design, International Journal of Production Research, 53 (8), pp. 2472-2488.
Wu, Zhiqiao, Tang, Jiafu, Kwong, C.K., Marinelli, F. (2015) An improvement on “Integrated production strategy and reuse scenario: A CoFAQ model and case study of mail server system development”, Omega, 56, 50-52.
Aydin, R., Kwong, C.K., and Ji, P., (2015) A novel methodology for simultaneous consideration of remanufactured and new products in product line design, International Journal of Production Economics, 169, 127-140.
Jiang, Huimin, Kwong, C.K., K.W.M. Siu, and Liu, Y., (2015) Rough Set and PSO-based ANFIS Approaches to Modeling Customer Satisfaction for Affective Product Design, Advanced Engineering Informatics, 29(3), 620, 727-738.
Kwong, C.K., Jiang Huimin; Luo, X. G., (2016) AI-based methodology of integrating affective design, engineering, and marketing for defining design specifications of new products, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 47, 49-60.
Jin, J., Ji, P., Kwong, C.K., (2016) What makes consumers unsatisfied with your products: Review analysis data fine-grained level, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 47, 38-48.
Tong, L., Wong, W.K. and Kwong, C.K., (2016) Differential evolution-based optimal Gabor filter model for fabric inspection, Neurocomputing, 173, 1386-1410.
Luo Xinggang, Li Wei, Kwong C. K., and Cao Yan, (2016) Optimisation of product family design with consideration of supply risk and discount, Research in Engineering Design, 27(1), 37-54.
Wu, Z., Kwong, C.K., Lee, C.K.M., Tang, J., Joint decision of product configuration and remanufacturing for product family design, International Journal of Production Research (In press)
Aydin, R., Kwong, C.K. and Ji, P., Coordination of closed-loop supply chain for product line design with consideration of remanufactured products, Journal of Cleaner Production (accepted for publication)
Last modified in May 2016