Since joining the University in September 1992, Prof. Tang has been promoted from Assistant Lecturer to Professor through the ranks of Lecturer, Assistant Professor and Associate Professor in 16 years. He graduated with a first class honours degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Hong Kong, and subsequently he was awarded a M.Sc. (Eng) by the University of California, Los Angeles and a Ph.D. by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Prof. Tang is specialised in the area of Damage Mechanics focusing on material and process modeling. With his strength in multi-disciplinary research, Prof. Tang has established an international alliance to conduct world-class studies in Bioengineering. Prof. Tang’s research findings have not only led to journal publications, but also to inventions. In recent research projects, he has invented a submerged isothermal sheet metal forming technique for magnesium and aluminium alloys, and a rapid microwave sintering technique for titanium alloys. He has also invented a method to fabricate a highly wear-resistant biocomposite that is suitable for producing hip joint replacements. Prof. Tang has also been an editor and editorial board member of various prestigious international journals. He was one of the awardees for the Presidents Awards for Achievement in Research and Scholarly Activities in 2008. He believes that the application of research outcomes to improving the quality of the life of mankind gives the highest level of self-gratification.
Apart from research, Prof. Tang is the Chairman of the departmental teaching and learning committee and the Award Leader of an UGC-funded programme, B.Eng. (Hons) in Product Engineering with Marketing. He received the Presidents Award for Achievement in Teaching in 1998. He is the only member from an Asian country other than India to serve on the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Technology and Design Education.
Teaching and Research Specialties
Instrumentation, materials processing and modelling.
- Executive Committee and Past President, Institute of Industrial Engineers (Hong Kong)
- Senior Member, Institute of Industrial Engineers
- Advisor, Hong Kong Student Science Project Competition (since 2004).
External Research Funding Secured
- Managers/Investigatos of consultancy projects (over HK$0.5 M)
- Key members of ITF projects (over HK$16.1 M)
- Principal investigators of CERG/GRF projects (over HK$2.5 M)
(including Journals, Books, Chapters in Books, Conferences, etc)
- Author of ASM Handbook Chapter on Fine-edge Blanking (Vol. 14B, 2006)
- Author/Co-author of over 170 refereed journal papers
Five most representative publications in recent five years
- CHEN L, TANG CY, CHEN DZ, WONG CT, TSUI CP (2011), Fabrication and characterization of poly-D-L-lactide/nano-hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds with poly(ethylene glycol) coating and dexamethasone releasing, Composites Science and Technology, 71, 1842-1849.
- GONG Y, TANG CY, TSUI CP, FAN JP (2010), Modelling of ionic polymer-metal composites by a multi-field finite element method, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 51, 741-751.
- DU FP, TANG CY, XIE XL, ZHOU XP, TAN L (2009). Carbon nanotube enhanced gripping in polymer-based actuators, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 113, 7223-7226.
- TANG CY, CHEN DZ, YUE TM, CHAN KC, TSUI CP, YU PHF (2008), Water absorption and solubility of PHBHV/HA nanocomposites. Composites Science and Technology, 68, 1827-1934.
- CHEN DZ, TANG CY, CHAN KC, TSUI CP, YU PHF, LEUNG MCP, USKOKVIC PS (2007), Dynamic mechanical properties and in vitro bioactivity of PHBHV/HA nanocomposite, Composites Science and Technology, 67, 1617-1626.
Five representative publications beyond the recent five-year period
- TANG CY, TSUI CP, STOJANOVIC B, KOJIC M (2007), Finite element modeling of skeletal muscles coupled with fatigue, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 49, 1179-1191.
- FAN JP, TSUI CP, TANG CY, CHOW CL (2004), Influence of interphase layer on the overall elasto-plastic behaviors of HA-PEEK biocomposite, Biomaterials, 25, 5363-5373.
- XIE XL, TANG CY, CHAN, KYY, WU XC, TSUI CP, CHEUNG CY (2003), Wear performance of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene/quartz composites. Biomaterials, 24, 1889-1896.
- TANG CY, XIE XL, WU XC, LI RKY, and MAI YW (2002), Enhanced wear performance of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene crosslinked by organosilane, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 13, 1065-1069.
- WEI ZG, TANG CY, LEE WB (1997), Design and fabrication of intelligent composites based on shape memory alloys, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 69, 68-74.