K.L. Yung, BBS
Professor and Associate Head
Professor K. L. Yung is an Associate Head and Professor of the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He received his BSc in Electronic Engineering at Brighton University in 1975, MSc, DIC in Automatic Control Systems at Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine, University of London in 1976, and PhD in Microprocessor Applications in Process Control at Plymouth University in 1985 in the United Kingdom and became a Chartered Engineer (C..Eng., MIEE) in 1982. After graduation, he worked in the United Kingdom for companies such as BOC Advanced Welding Co. Ltd., the British Ever Ready Group and the Cranfield Unit for Precision Engineering (CUPE). In 1986, he returned to Hong Kong to join the Hong Kong Productivity Council as Consultant and subsequently switched to academia to join the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Professor Yung has a wealth of experience in making sophisticated space tools for different depth space exploration missions. These include the Space Holinser Forceps for the MIR Space Station, the "Mars Rock Corer" for the European Space Agency's Mars Express Mission (2003), the "Soil Preparation System" for the Sino-Russian Phobos-Grunt Mission (2011), and advanced precision robotic systems for the China Lunar Exploration Missions..
Teaching and Research Specialties
Precision Engineering, Product Mechatronics, Automatic Control System, Computer Integrated Manufacturing and Management, Computer Vision, 3D Model Retrieval, Logistic Planning and Optimization, Deep Space Exploration
Professional Qualifications & Honorary Appointments
- Senior Member CMES
- Adjunct Professor and PhD supervisor of the Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen Campus, China
- Concurrent Professor of the Northeastern University, Shenyang, China
- Adjunct Professor of Central South University, Changsha, Hunan
- Expert Member of "Lunar Surface Sampling", third phase of Lunar Exploration program, the Lunar Exploration Program Centre, China National Space Administration.
- Hong Kong Awards for Industry, Federation of Hong Kong Industries Certificate of Merit in Consumer Product Design, 1997
- The President’s Awards for Outstanding Performance / Achievement from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 1999.
- Voted by the Engineering Profession and the General Public to be the “Most Innovative Item” in the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers' election of the “Ten Engineering Wonders in Hong Kong” for the Entry Titled “Hong Kong Space End-effectors for Mars”, 2000.
- Leader of the Year Award 2000 in the category of 1010 Award for Innovation. (The previous recipients of this Award included the Chief Executive, Mr. C. H. Tung and the Chief Executive, Sir. Y. K. Tsang).
- Gold Medal in the prestigious European 50th BRUSSELS EUREKA competition of innovation, research and new technology, 2001.
- Faculty of Engineering Industrial Grant Achievement Award of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2005.
- Gold Medal in the 35th International Exhibition of Inventions, New Techniques and Products of Geneva, 2007.
- China International Industrial Fare, Technology Innovation Award, 2009.
Hong Kong Awards for Industry, Machinery and Machine Tools Design Award, 2009..
- "Combined Cordless Phone and Pager", Great Britain Patent No.: GB 2 282 934 B, 25 February, 1998.
- "Corer-Grinder”, US Patent No: 6837312, October, 2004.
- "Impact Mechanism for a Hammer Drill", US Patent No.: 7,137,458, 21 November, 2006.
- "A Vertical Micro-injection Machine", US Patent No.: 7,258,543, 21 August, 2007.
- "VERTIKALE MIKROSPRITZGIESSMASCHINE", Austrian Patent No.: 503.31, 15 August, 2010.
- "Chipless Microwave Identification TAG", US Patent No.: 8,274,368 B2, 25 September, 2012.
He has over 100 publications where nearly all of them are in well know international journals.