Prof. L.C. Chan graduated from the Hong Kong Polytechnic in 1979. After several years of experience in industry, he went to U.K. and got his MSc. in Mechanical Engineering. Then, he came back to Hong Kong and had been worked in Manufacturing Engineering Division of the Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC) for more than 10 year as Consultant and later promoted to Senior Consultant. He got his PhD from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) in 1997 and was then employed in the Department of Manufacturing Engineering (currently known as Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering) as Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and later promoted to Professor. During his service period in HKPC and PolyU, he was mainly responsible for the research and development of solid and sheet metal processing as well as relevant forming technologies. Metal forming, process simulation, fine-blanking, tool design and manufacture as well as rapid prototyping together with advanced manufacturing technologies are main areas in his recent research work and career development.
Teaching and Research Specialties
For Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering:
- Level 2: Fundamentals of Manufacturing Processes; Manufacturing Technology;
- Level 3: Tool Design; Design for Manufacture; Manufacturing Systems and Technology;
- Level 4: Advanced Mould and Die Design; Task Consultation of Design for Manufacture;
- Level 5: Precision Tooling Technology.
For Management and Executive Development Centre of the Institute for Enterprise- MEDC (under Institute for Enterprise)
- Sheet Metal Processing and Solid Metal Forming Technology;
- Tool Design in Practice;
- Process Design Technology;
- 精密模具加工工藝設計及檢測 for Leeport (Holdings) Limited.
Fields of Interest and Expertise
- Advanced Sheet-metal Processing;
- Design and Manufacture of Precision Tooling Systems;
- Fine-Blanking Technology;
- Bulk Deformation and Sheet Metal Forming and their Process Simulations;
- Advanced Manufacturing Systems;
- Rapid Prototyping Techniques.
- Hydroforming Technology
Honours and Awards (Partially)
- Industrial and Engineering Service Grant Achievement Award, Faculty of Engineering, PolyU (2007)
- Commercial Research and Development, Hong Kong Productivity Council (1997)
- Best Individual Application Project Award – MIE Division, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (1997)
- Departmental Liaison Officer, Hong Kong Diecasting Association
- Senior Vice-Chairman, Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Alumni Association (MILESAA) of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Committee member, Appeal Board Panel under Consumer Goods Safety Ordinance
- Panel member of Appeal Tribunals for Planning and Lands Branch Development Bureau Government Secretariat of SAR from 1 Dec, 2015 to 30 Nov, 2018.
- Mentor, Institute of Mechanical Engineer, Hong Kong Chapter
RGC Grants and other Externally Funded Projects
General Research Fund (GRF)
- A Study of the Formability of Tailor-welded Blanks using Non-linear Heterogeneous Analysis (PolyU5178/01E)
- Failure Prediction of Laser Tailor-welded Blanks under Multi-Stage Forming Process (PolyU5261/03E)
- Failure Prediction of Laser Tailor-welded Blanks under Multi-Stage Forming(PolyU5255/04E)
- Damage-based Failure Analysis of Thermal-hydroforming Lightweight Laser-welded Tubular Blanks (PolyU 5114/07E)
- Multiscale Damage Analysis on Multistage Hydroforming of Magnesium Alloy Sheets (PolyU 5119/09E)
Innovation Technology Fund (ITF)
- Development and Application of an Isothermal Sheet Metal Forming Process for Magnesium Alloys (UIM/150)
- Development of Experimental Operation Attachment to Implement Hydroforming Capability on Conventional Press (ITS/050/06)
- Establishment of Attachment Adaptive Control Experimentation System on Conventional Press for Hot Fluid Forming Light-weight Tubular and Sheet Metal Components (ITS/031/07)
- Process development for batch production of fine-structured magnesium alloy sheets using thermo-mechanical macro-deformation processing system (ITP/037/08)
- Development of Large Hydroforming Machinery for Production of High Strength Metallic Hollow Sectional Components for Industry (ITS/237/09FP)
- Development of laser-assisted form rolling adaptive system for pilot manufacturing high-strength micro tooth-profile spiral components (ITS/295/09)
- Development for Fabricating Biodegradable Magnesium-based Metal Sponge using Thermo-fused Porous Structure Processing System (ITP/041/12NI)
- Process development of manufacturing impact-resistant reinforcement components for vehicle frame structures and bumper systems using encapsulation approach (ITS/293/13FX)
- Optimal Design and Custom-Made Fabrication of Hydroformed Light-Metal Bike Frames for Cycling Athletes (ITS/337/14FX)
- Energy-efficient Trial-equipment Development Enabling Ultra-heavy Duty Locking and Super-high Pressure Injection for Warm Hydrostatic-forming Large-scale Tubular Vehicle Frames and Structures (ITS/363/15FX)
Notable achievements in public, governmental and professional services
- Development of a next generation Zero-emission Electric Car-inter-departmental collaboration research and development projectwith Department of Elect. Engg. In 1999.
- Mid-life assessment of Overhead line Components - for KCRC in 1999.
- Prototyping of an Bio-tech domestic waste appliance in 2003.
- Feasibility Study of Warm and Cold Forming Technology for Production of Stainless Steel Components- Falcon Industries Limited in 2004.
- Development of Fine-blanking Tooling Systems for Progressive Production of Intricate Mini Gears-Vigor Precision Limited in 2006.
- Expert Report on a Lifting Accident Case-for Deacons in 2011
Book Chapters: (2)
- TC Lee, CY Tang and LC Chan, “Fine-Edge Blanking”, Chapter in Blanking and Piercing, Volume 14B, Metalworking: Sheet Forming, ASM Handbook, 2006, p177-190.
- CP Lai, LC Chan and TC Lee, “Thermal Formability of Titanium Tailor-welded Blanks”, chapter in Titanium Alloys: Preparation, Properties and Applications, Edited by Pedro N. Sanchez, Nova Science, 2010, pages 423-439, ISBN: 978-61122-323-1
Selected journals and conference papers within recent 5 years: (Over 130 publications since 1995)
- LC Chan, XZ Lu, KM Yu, Multiscale Approach with RSM for Stress–strain Behaviour Prediction of Micro-void-considered Metal Alloy, Materials & Design, 2015, 83: 129-137.
- TF Kong, LC Chan, Prediction of Multipreform Shapes in Warm Forming with Experimental Verification, JOM, 2015, 67(2): 436-449.
- SS Wong, LC Chan, CP Lai, WY Ip, LH Chau, In-vitro and In-vivo Degradation Evaluation of Mg-based Alloys for Biomedical Applications, Journal of Material Science and Technology Research, 2015, 1(2): 1-9.
- CP Lai, LC Chan, Finite-element Modelling of Thermal Forming of Ti-TWBs with Experimental Verification, Key Engineering Materials, 2015, 626: 518-523.
- LC Chan, CP Lai, LH Chau, WY Ip, Biocompatibility Study of Magnesium-based Metal Sponge, Proceeding of the 9th International Conference on Porous Metals and Metallic Foams (Metfoam 2015), page 218, 31 Aug-2 Sept 2015, Barcelona, Spain.
- SS Wong, WY Ip, LC Chan, CP Lai, In vivo Study on the Biodegradation Behaviours of Mg-Based Alloys for Orthopaedic Application, Proceeding of the 27th European Conference on Biomaterials (ESB2015), 30 Aug-3 Sept 2015, Krakow, Poland (Electronic Version)
- XZ Lu, LC Chan, Construction of Representative Volume Element for FE Simulation of Bulk Deformation of Stainless Steel Using X-Ray Computed Tomography Approach, TMS2015 Supplemental Proceedings, Pages 485-490, 15-19 Mar 2015, Orlando, USA.
- LC Chan, Net Shape Forming Technologies for Gear Profile Rolling and High-Strength Tube Hydroforming, Proceeding of the BIT 4th Annual World Congress of Advanced Materials (WCAM2015), Page 301, 27-29 May 2015, Chongqing, China
- XZ Lu, LC Chan, Data Acquisition in 3D Tomography for Multiscale Microstructure Model Construction under Uniaxial Compression, MS&T2015 Supplemental Proceedings, Pages 561-566, 4-8 Oct 2015, Ohio, USA.
- TF Kong, LC Chan, Bulk-Forming Simulation of Bimetallic Watchcase Components, JOM, 2014, 66(10): 2145-2155.
- LC Chan, XZ Lu, Material Sensitivity and Formability Prediction of Warm Forming Magnesium Alloy Sheets with Experimental Verification, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2014, 71(1-4): 253-262.
- LC Chan, CP Lai, SS Wong, WY Ip, Corrosion and Hydrogen Evolution Improvement of Biodegradable Mg-based Alloy for Orthopedic and Implant Applications, 2nd International Conference on BioTribology (ICoBT 2014), 11-14 May 2014, Toronto, Canada (Electronic version)
- SS Wong, CP Lai, WY Ip, LC Chan, Zin’s role in Mg-Zn-Mn Alloys for Orthopedic Applications, 2014 Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials, 16-19 Apr 2014, Denver, CO (Electronic version)
- LC Chan, XZ Lu, Numerical Simulation on Forming Behavior of Magnesium Alloy at Elevated Temperatures with Experimental Verification. Advanced Materials Research, 2013, 677: 179-182.
- LC Chan, TF Kong, Numerical Simulation and Experimental Study on Profile-rolling Process for Micro-teeth Components, Advanced Materials Research, 2013, 677: 252-255.
- CP Lai, LC Chan, Microstructural Analysis of Stress Relieving on the Thermal Deformation Behaviors of Titanium Tailor-welded Blanks, Advanced Materials Research, 2013, 677: 169-172.
- LC Chan, Numerical Determination of Sheet Metal Forming Limit Based on a New Combined Model of M-K Theory and Shear Localization Criterion, Advanced Materials Research, 2013, 330: 821-825.
- WKR Kot, LC Chan, Determination of Loading Paths in Warm Hydroforming Reinforced Quadrilateral Tubular Components, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 2013, 29(1): 32-36.
- WKR Kot, LC Chan, In-Process Visualisation for Deformation Monitoring and Analysis of Sheet Metal Forming Processes, Advanced Materials Research, 2013, 677: 384-387.
- LC Chan, KM Au, KM Yu, FEM-CT Integrated Design for Multiscale Damage Analysis of Hydroformed Magnesium-based Alloy Tubular Product, NDT & E International, 2013, 56: 38-47.
- CP Tsui, CY Tang, HY Wang, LC Chan, Damage Prediction of a Graded Porous Biocomposite Implant Using the Finite Element Method, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Damage Mechanics, Pages 293-296, 25-27 Jun 2012, Belgrade, Sebrian.
- J Lin, LC Chan, L Wang, Prediction of Forming Limit Diagrams Based on Shear Failure Criterion, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 2011, 47(21): 2855-2865.
- L Wang, LC Chan, TF Kong, Microstructural Effect and Material Homogenization of Thermal-hydroforming Magnesium Alloy Tubes, Key Engineering Materials, 2011, 465: 459-462.
- PF Zheng, GD Wang, LC Chan, TF Kong, TC Lee, Loading Paths Window in the Hydroforming Process. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference of Tube Hydroforming, 24-27 Jul 2011, Hokkaido, Japan (Electronic Version).
- W Chen, LC Chan, TC Lee, Loading Path Design of Tubular Hydroforming Process for Complicated Shaped Mg Alloy Components, 6th ASME 2011 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC), 13-17 Jun 2011, Corvallis, USA (Electronic Version)
- TF Kong, LC Chan, TC Lee, Flow Stress Experimental Determination for Warm Forming Process, 6th ASME 2011 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC), 13-17 Jun 2011, Corvallis, USA (Electronic Version)