Before joining PolyU in 1991, Dr Yue was Senior Materials Scientist working in Hi-Tec Metals R&D Ltd. (UK), where he was responsible for setting up research facilities for light alloys development and advanced casting technologies for a number of Department of Trade and Industry and Brite/Euram projects.
- 1982 BSc(Hons) in Aeronautics and Astronautics, University of Southampton University UK
- 1987 PhD Sub-department of Engineering Materials, University of Southampton UK (Royal Aircraft Establishment Studentship; under the supervision of Professors GA Chadwick and PJE Forsyth)
- 1994 Professional Member of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (MIMMM)
- 1994 CEng, UK 1995 Member of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (MHKIE)
- 1986-1991 Metals Research Engineer/Senior Materials Research Scientist, Hi-Tec Metals R&D Ltd UK
- 1991-1994 Lecturer
- 1995-1997 Assistant Professor
- 1998-2002 Associate Professor
- Sept 2002 – Professor
- Aug 2012 – Associate Head The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Chairman of the Departmental Research Committee
- Member of the Engineering Faculty Research Committee
- Member of the Research Committee of PolyU
- The President’s Awards for Achievement (PolyU 96/97) – Research and Scholarly Activities
- Faculty of Engineering Research Grant Achievement Award (2003)
- 39th International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva – Silver Medal: Ecodesign and Green Manufacturing Model for Electrical and Electronic Products under EuP Directive (Project team: Dr Winco Yung, Prof. L.Justice, Prof. Y. Lam, Prof. T.M. Yue and Ir Albert Choi)
Teaching and Research Specialties
- Engineering materials
- Laser materials processing technology
- Surface coating
- Electrospark technology
- Member of the Machine Shop & Metal Working Industry Training Board of the VTC 1995-1998.
- Committee Member of the HKIE - Materials Division 1996 - 2002.
- Member of Continuing Professional Development Committee, HKIE 1997-2002.
- Member of the Engineering Panel of the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2006.
- Editorial Board Member of The Open Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering Journal.
- Editorial Board Member of ISRN Metallurgy
- Independent review panel for KCRC (East Rail) rolling stock underframe equipment mounting cracking issues (2006) ( 東鐵裂紋事故獨立專家小組成員)
External Research Funding Secured
As Principal-investigator and Co-investigator, a total of over HK$60 million (US$7.8M). This includes 10 Competitive Earmarked Research Grants (CERG)/General Research Fund (GRF) from the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (in the capacity of Principal Investigator); a success rate of 55%
He has a total number of over 200 publications in refereed journals.
Ten representative publications
- YUE, T.M., TABESHFAR, K., FORSYTH, P.J.E., Effect of microstructure on the plain and notched fatigue properties of IMI 550 Ti alloy. International Journal of Fatigue 7(1985) 149-153.
- YUE, T.M., Comparison of the fatigue behaviour of an Al-Zn-Mg-Cu Alloy (7010) in the form of squeeze and chill castings and rolled plate. Journal of Materials Science, 25(1990) 175-182.
- YUE, T.M., CHAN, T.W., MAN, H.C. and LAU, W.S., Analysis of ultrasonic-aided laser drilling using finite element method. CIRP Annals 45/1 (1996) 169-172.
- YUE, T.M., WANG, A.H., MAN, H.C., Improvement in the corrosion resistance of magnesium ZK60/SiC composite by excimer laser surface treatment. Scripta Materialia 38(2) (1997) 191-198.
- LIN, X., YUE, T.M., YANG, H.O., HUANG, W.D., Microstructure and phase evolution in laser rapid forming of a functionally graded Ti–Rene88DT alloy. Acta Materialia 54(2006) 1901-1915.
- YUE, T.M., SU, Y.P., Laser multi-layer cladding of Zr65Al7.5Ni10Cu17.5 amorphous alloy on magnesium substrates. Journal of Materials Science, 42(2007) 6153-6160.
- YUE, T.M., LI, T., Laser cladding of Ni/Cu/Al functionally graded coating on magnesium substrate. Surface and Coatings Technology 202(13) (2008) 3043-3049.
- YUE, T.M., LI, T., LIN, X., Microstructure and phase evolution in laser cladding of Ni/Cu/Al multilayer on magnesium substrates. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 41(1) (2010) 212-223.
- LI, Q.H., YUE, T.M., GUO, Z.N., LIN, X., Microstructure and corrosion properties of AlCoCrFeNi high entropy alloy coatings deposited on AISI 1045 steel by the electrospark process, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 44(4) (2013) 1767-1778.
- YUE, T.M., XIE, H., LIN, X. YANG, H.O., MENG, G.H., Solidification behaviour in laser cladding of AlCoCrCuFeNi high-entropy alloy on magnesium substrates, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 587 (2014) 588-593.
J.W. Liu and T.M. Yue, Electrochemical discharge machining of particulate-reinforced metal matrix composites, in Machining technology for composite materials: Principles and practice, edited by H Hocheng, 2011 Woodhead Publishing Limited, ISBN 0 85709 030 5
- Process for Making Nickel Electroforms (US Patent no. 6,620,303 B2) KP Wong, KC Chan, TM Yue (2003)
- Method of Drilling a Circuit Board (US Patent no. 6,809,289 B2) KC Yung, TM Yue, XY Fang (2004)
- Complex waveform electroplating (US Patent no. 6,919,011) KC Chan, KC Yung, TM Yue (2005)
- Method for fabrication of silicone composite with antimicrobial coating (US Patent no. 8,133,423 B2) CY Tang, DZ Chen, TM Yue, YY Chan (2012)
- Rapid fabrication of porous metal-based biomaterial by microwave sintering (US Patent no. 9,074,267) CY Tang, SP Bao, CP Tsui, TM Yue (2015)
- 一种电化学机械复合电极钻 (A kind of electrochemical and mechanical machining drill) (Chinese Patent No. 200820003360.7.) 刘江文 余大民 郭钟宁 (2008)
- 磨削辅助电化学放电加工工具及方法 (Grinding-aided electrochemical discharge machining method and electrode (Chinese Patent No. ZL 2010 1 0284957.5) 余大民 刘江文 (2014)