Dr. Tang received his B.Sc. and M.Phil. from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He was awarded the Ph.D. degree from the same university. He worked as a postdoctoral fellow after graduate. He is currently a teaching fellow at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. His research interests include computer Simulation, computer graphics, computer-aided design, finite element modeling, and bio-medical application. He was the reviewer of several renowned journals including Journal of Computer-Aided Design and Annals of Biomedical Engineering.
Dr. Tang teaches a number of subjects in the product and process design area such as computer-aided product design, design for manufacture, advanced engineering modeling, etc. Besides teaching, he also serves a number of administration duties. He is the subject coordinator and project coordinator of several subjects and programs.
Teaching and Research Specialties
Product Design, Computer-aided Design, Computer Modeling and Simulation, Computer Graphics, Finite Element Analysis, Computer Applications in Health Care and Biomedicine
Honours and Awards
- Dean's List (Merit) Award
- Merit Award
- Bonso Scholarship
- Y.M. Tang and John P.T. Mo, “Problem Based Learning of Systems Engineering Supported by Additive Manufacturing Processes”, Industrial Engineering Research special issue of The International Conference of Technology Education (ICTE) 2015, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 77-91.
- Y.M. Tang, T.L. Cheung, “Estimation of Clavicle Plate Bending Angles before Surgery”, Proceedings of CAD'15, 2015, pp. 167-172.
- Y.M. Tang and John P.T. Mo, “Problem Based Learning of Systems Engineering Using Additive Manufacturing Process”, Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Technology Education (ICTE) in the Asia Pacific Region, Hong Kong, 3-5 January 2015, pp. 107-109.
- T.L. Cheung, Y.M. Tang, Kris Law, K.L. Yung, H.Y. Chen, "Design an M-learning Platform for Engineering Mathematics", Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Technology Education (ICTE) in the Asia Pacific Region, Hong Kong, 3-5 January 2015, pp. 141-144.
- Tang CY, Tsui CP, Tang YM, Wei L, Wong CT, Lam KW, Ip WY, Lu WW, Pang MY, " Voxel-based approach to generate entire human metacarpal bone with microscopic architecture for finite element analysis ", Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering, 2014, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp 1469-1484. [doi:10.3233/BME-130951]
- Y.M. Tang and S.L. Ho, "Extraction of 3D Curves from Clavicle Model for Implant Modeling", Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Computer Animation and Social Agents, Singapore, 9-11 May, 2012, pp.70-73 (2012)
- Y.M. Tang and K.C. Hui, “Human Foot Modeling Towards Footwear Design”, Computer-Aided Design, 2011, Vol. 43, Issue 12, pp 1841-1848.
- Y.M. Tang, “Modeling Interactive Skin Deformation Using Boundary Element Method”, Journal of Computer-Aided Design and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.101-108, 2010.
- Y.M. Tang, Z.H. Wu, W.H. Liao and K.M. Chan, "The Effect of Semi-rigid Ankle Support Braces on Ankle Kinematics during Sudden Supination", Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp.822-826, 2010.
- Y.M. Tang and K.C. Hui, “Simulating Tendon Motion with Axial Mass-spring System”, Computers & Graphics, Vol. 33, Issue 2, pp 162-172, 2009.
- Y.M. Tang and K.L. Yung, "Towards Realistic Simulation of Skin Deformation by Estimating the Skin Artifacts", Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Conference on Computer Animation and Social Agents, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 17-19 June, 2009, pp.57-60 (2009)
- Yuk-Ming Tang, Mathew Ho-Cheong Tsoi, Daniel Tik-Pui Fong, Pauline Po-Yee Lui, Kin-Chuen Hui, and Kai-Ming Chan, “The Development of a Virtual Cycling Simulator”, Lectures Notes in Computer Science, No. 4469, pp.162-170, 2007.
- Tang YM, Liao WH, Lui PPY and Chan KM, “Development of Smart Material for Protection of Ankle Sprain”, In Proceedings of SMART Convention 2007, Hong Kong, China, 2007.
- Yue-Yan Chan, Daniel Tik-Pui Fong, Yuk-Ming Tang, Kin-Chuen Hui, Kai-Ming Chan, “A simple mechanical “sprain simulator” or evaluating the protective effects of footwear on ankle sprain”, the 8th Biennial Footwear Biomechanics Symposium, 2007.
- Y.M. Tang, A.F. Zhou and K.C. Hui, “Comparison of FEM and BEM for Interactive Object Simulation”, Computer-Aided Design, 2006, Vol. 38, Issue 8, pp 874-886.
- F. Zhou, K. C. Hui, Y. M. Tang and Charlie C.L. Wang, “An Accelerated BEM Approach for the Simulation of Deformable Objects”, Computer-Aided Design & Applications, 2006, Vol. 3, Nos. 6, pp 761-770.
- Y. M. Tang, A. F. Zhou and K. C. Hui, “Comparison between FEM and BEM for real-time simulation”, Computer-Aided Design & Applications, 2005, Vol. 2, Nos. 1-4, pp 421-430.
- Y. M. Tang, “Computer simulation of human foot”, In Proceedings of Application of Science in Footwear Research and Development 2005, Hong Kong, China, 2005, pp. 54-56.
- Y.M. Tang and K.C. Hui, “The Effect of Tendon on Foot Skin Deformation”, Special Issue of Computer-Aided Design, 2007, Vol. 39, No. 7, pp. 583-597.